Roger Federer's quest for an 18th grand slam title got off to a brilliant start as the third seed dismantled Nikoloz Basilashvili in straight sets at the Australian Open on Monday.
A ruthless Federer made light work of his Georgian opponent in a commanding 6-2, 6-1, 6-2 win in the first round on Rod Laver.
The 17-time major winner, who was ousted in the third round by Andreas Seppi at Melbourne Park last year, barely raised a sweat in warm conditions as he made it past the first round of the Australian Open for a 17th consecutive year.
Federer lost the final of the Brisbane International to Milos Raonic last week, but the 34-year-old showed no signs of being affected by that defeat and stormed out of the blocks to break twice in the opening five games for a commanding 4-1 lead.
Basilashvili showed signs of resolve with a break back in the sixth game, his only break of the match, but that is as good as it got against the Swiss maestro.
Having flexed his muscles in the second set as he eased to a comfortable two-sets-to-love lead, Federer then wasted little time closing out the match on Basilashvili's serve.
Federer  bt Basilashvili 6-2, 6-1, 6-2
Federer - 6
Basilashvili - 2
Federer - 31/20
Basilashvili - 9/29
BREAK POINTS WON
Federer - 8/14
Basilashvili - 1/1
FIRST SERVE PERCENTAGE
Federer - 64
Basilashvili - 65
PERCENTAGE OF POINTS WON ON FIRST/SECOND SERVE
Federer - 92/45
Basilashvili - 52/29
Federer - 80
Basilashvili - 44
- IPL 2024 schedule announced for first 21 games: Full list of matches, fixtures, dates, venues, timings in IST
- ISL 10 LIVE, Jamshedpur FC vs East Bengal: JFC v EBFC, Manzorro, Cleiton start, Indian Super League updates
- Upcoming Indian Racing League season to feature two new tracks in Coimbatore and Bengaluru
- Unadkat says Saurashtra vs Tamil Nadu clash a “contest of equals” ahead of Ranji Trophy quarterfinals
- Indian sports wrap, February 22