Jannik Sinner became the first Italian ever to reach the last four of the ATP Finals on Thursday after Hubert Hurkacz won the second set of his match with Novak Djokovic.
World number four Sinner is guaranteed at least a second spot in the Green Group thanks to Hurkacz, who is playing his only match of the season-ending tournament as a replacement for the injured Stefanos Tsitsipas, levelling the match at 1-1.
READ MORE: Nadal on ‘right track’ in road to recovery
Djokovic meanwhile is not guaranteed a semi-final place even if he comes back to win the match as his qualification would hinge on the result of Sinner’s final match with Holger Rune later on Thursday.
Sinner could deliberately lose against Rune and knock Djokovic out, denying the 24-time Grand Slam champion the chance of winning a record-breaking seventh Finals.
- Ranji Trophy 2024 Quarterfinal: Musheer Khan hits maiden double century, puts Mumbai in command against Baroda
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Mhambrey surprised with variable bounce as India left tottering after second day
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore faces UP Warriorz in campaign opener; eyes on Mandhana, Healy
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan LIVE Score, OFC 0-0 MBSG, ISL 2023-24: Mauricio strikes the crossbar, Cummings comes in for Sadiku
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 Quarterfinals: Musheer’s double century puts Mumbai in strong position in Day 2