Saina Nehwal beat Hong Kong’s Cheung Ngan Yi 23—21, 21—17, in 42 minutes, to advance to the second round of the French Open on Wednesday.
Former World No. 1 Saina and the men’s doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty were the only Indians to record wins as the others continued their poor run.
Rankireddy and Chirag recorded a 21—16, 21—14 win over Jelle Maas and Robin Tabeling of the Netherlands.
Kidambi Srikanth, Parupalli Kashyap and Sameer Verma all crashed out of the Super—750 event with defeats in their respective first round matches on Wednesday.
Srikanth was beaten 21—15, 7—21, 14—21 by second seed Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei in a continuation of what has been another bleak year for the former World No. 1.
His chances of turning around the poor run looks unlikely in the next two tournaments as he has been drawn against Japanese World No. 1 Kento Momota in his first round matches at the China Open and Hong Kong Open.
Sameer went down fighting in a close contest against Kenta Nishimoto of Japan, losing 22—20, 18—21, 18—21. Kashyap lost 11—21, 9—21 against Ng Ka Long Angus of Hong Kong.
- IND vs AUS: Why did Ishan Kishan’s stumping attempt off Axar Patel’s bowling result in a no-ball? Rules explained
- Indian sports news wrap, November 28
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- Glenn Maxwell hits joint-fastest T20I century by an Australian
- IND vs AUS Highlights 3rd T20I: Australia beats India by five wickets in record chase; Maxwell smashes 47-ball hundred