NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo fouled out as Greece was eliminated from the FIBA World Cup despite an 84-77 win over Czech Republic.
Greece needed a 12-point margin of victory to keep alive its hopes of progressing to the quarter-finals, but its star man was unable to lead the way.
The Czechs led at half-time and, despite a strong third quarter from Greece, its hopes were dashed in the final reckoning as Antetokounmpo was forced out of the game after being pinged for a contentious charge.
The Milwaukee Bucks talisman had made consecutive double-doubles in his past two games, including against the United States, but he was not as impressive on Monday.
Antetokounmpo, who fouled out with five and half minutes remaining, ended with 12 points, nine rebounds, four assists and three steals.
It was a bitter pill to swallow for the 24-year-old and his team, which was 65-53 up when he came back into the game during the fourth quarter.
- La Liga 2023: Llorente snatches Atletico late draw against rival Real Madrid
- Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid highlights, RMA 1-0 ATM, La Liga: Llorente scores late equaliser but Los Blancos remain top despite draw
- FIFA World Cup 2026 schedule: Mexico to play opener at Azteca on June 11, New York to host final
- FIFA World Cup 2026: Mexico to stage opener at Azteca, New York to host final
- Which stadium will host the FIFA World Cup 2026 final?