Lithuania beat the U.S. at the 1998 World Championships, then failed to medal. Lithuania then beat the U.S. again at the 2004 Olympics, then failed to medal.
And history will repeat itself at this World Cup.
Bogdan Bogdanovic scored 18 of his 21 points in the first half and Serbia topped previously unbeaten Lithuania 87-68 in the World Cup quarterfinals on Tuesday — a result that means Lithuania cannot medal in Manila this weekend. The best Lithuania can do now is fifth place.
It continues a peculiar jinx for Lithuania, which is 3-8 all-time against the U.S. at the senior men’s national level — and has turned those three wins into exactly zero medals. Lithuania was playing less than 48 hours after beating the U.S. 110-104 to close out second-round play in Manila.
Serbia (5-1) will play Canada or Slovenia in Friday’s semifinals. The Canada-Slovenia quarterfinal game is on Wednesday; the loser plays Lithuania (5-1) in the consolation playoffs on Thursday. Teams cannot medal after losing in the quarterfinals but will play two more games before leaving Manila to determine fifth through eighth place in the tournament’s overall standings.
Serbia is in the semifinals for the third time at the last four World Cups. It lost to Turkey in the semifinals of the 2010 tournament (and then fell to Lithuania in the bronze-medal game) and lost to the U.S. in the title game of the 2014 event.
Serbia played with forward Borisa Simanic’s jersey draped over a chair in its bench area. Simanic lost a kidney after being elbowed in a game against South Sudan last week; he needed surgery after that game, and complications prompted doctors to operate again Sunday and remove the damaged kidney.
- India vs Netherlands Live Score, World Cup 2023: Rohit, Gill bring up 50 partnership in 6 overs - IND v NED match updates
- MotoGP 2023: Bastianini wins Malaysian Grand Prix as Bagnaia extends title lead
- India vs Netherlands Dream11 Prediction, World Cup 2023: IND vs NED playing XI, fantasy team, squads
- Full list of teams qualified for Champions Trophy 2025: England makes the cut, Afghanistan to debut
- ICC World Cup 2023 Points Table after ENG vs PAK: England seventh, Pakistan finishes at fifth place