Michael Jordan owns roughly 97 percent of Charlotte's NBA franchise, but he's in the process of selling a "large chunk" of the team, according to the Charlotte Observer .
The Hornets' majority owner is bringing two New York investors into the fold in Gabe Plotkin and Daniel Sundheim, the team announced on Saturday. Plotkin is a founder of Melvin Capital while Sundheim is a founder of DI Capital.
Both still need to be approved by the NBA, but the Observer 's report states the deal should be finalized in the coming weeks.
Jordan is excited about the things this new partnership can bring to Charlotte.
“I’m excited to welcome Gabe and Dan as my partners in Hornets Sports & Entertainment,” Jordan said in a statement. “While I will continue to run the Charlotte Hornets, make all decisions related to the team and organization, and remain the team’s NBA Governor, Gabe and Dan’s investment in the franchise is invaluable, as we continue to modernize, add new technology and strive to compete with the best in the NBA.
"Both Gabe and Dan are industry standard-setters and proven leaders, with a belief in philanthropy and a passion for the game of basketball. They share my commitment to Charlotte and the Carolinas, and I look forward to working with and learning from them.”
A source familiar with Jordan's thinking told the Observer the basketball icon likely plans to own and run the team for “a good, long time."
Jordan acquired control of the Hornets from Bob Johnson in 2010.
The team has made just three postseason appearances in the last decade and hasn't won a single playoff series during that span.
- Men’s Volleyball Club World Championship: Defending Champion Sicoma beats Halkbank, sets up final against Minas
- Premier League: Man Utd slumps to humiliating 3-0 home loss to Bournemouth
- WPL 2024 Mini Auction: Kashvee, Vrinda turn heads as uncapped Indians, Capitals get Sutherland for record bid
- La Liga 2023-24: Bellingham goal not enough as Real Madrid draws against Betis away from home
- Serie A: Lazio dominates but draws 1-1 at 10-man Verona, Inter hosts Udinese