Dirk Nowitzki continues to etch his name into the history books in what is rumored to be his final season.
The 40-year-old big man has now passed NBA legend Wilt Chamberlain to become the league's sixth all-time leading scorer. Nowitzki accomplished the feat Monday against New Orleans Pelicans when he netted his 31,420 career point.
The accomplishment came in front of a home crowd at the American Airlines Center.
Nowitzki now trails only Michael Jordan (32,292), LeBron James (32,439), Kobe Bryant (33,643), Karl Malone (36,928) and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (38,387).
The 14-time All-Star recently passed John Stockton for third all time in games played with 1,505.
Nowitzki has not ruled out playing next season, but is expected to hang up his jersey at the end of 2018-19. He has received tributes at numerous road games in his record 21st NBA season.
- World Cup Diary: A Diwali in Bengaluru, old wounds heal and the final heartbreak
- Transgender cricketer Danielle McGahey retires after ICC ruling
- Para Asian Archery C’ship 2023: India’s compound teams win three gold; Rakesh, Sheetal shine
- China Masters 2023: Lakshya Sen, Priyanshu Rajawat out after first round defeat
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24: Full schedule, teams, squads, date, venues