Former controversial American heavyweight boxing champion Mike Tyson is to make his first ever visit to India.
Tyson is slated to attend the first fight night of the Kumite 1 League, to be held in Mumbai on September 29, it was announced on Tuesday.
The League organisers said this will be the first time the once fearsome heavyweight champion will be visiting the country as the mixed team martial arts league’s mentor.
The league is supported by the All India Mixed Martial Arts Federation (AIMMAF) and World Kickboxing Federation.
“Tyson is the mentor of the league. We wanted a legend, MMA being a new sport, there is no legend till now. In combat sport, after Muhammad Ali, Tyson is the legend and so we have got him,” League founder Mohamedali Budhwani said.
The inaugural season of the league will see eight teams representing different countries in action. Each team will comprise nine fighters, of which two will be women, the organisers said.
Details of the entire league are to be announced later. Budhwani claimed that the league is a world cup of MMA and is being initiated by India.
- BCCI extends contract of India head coach Rahul Dravid and support staff
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Natarajan picks four wickets for TN vs Baroda; Saurashtra collapses vs Odisha
- NBA roundup: Kings stun Warriors, advance in tournament
- India to tour Sri Lanka in July-August, 2024 for six-match white-ball series
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.