Gaurav Solanki, a 2018 Commonwealth Games gold medalist, posted a commanding win over Harendra Singh to set up a 60kg mouthwatering quarterfinal clash with title holder Varinder Singh in the National boxing championships here on Tuesday.
Solanki displayed his fine attacking skills to gain complete control over the proceedings and register a 5-0 win over Harendra.
Two-time defending champion Varinder, an Asian bronze medal winner representing Railways, prevailed over an opponent from rival unit Services, Ibrahim Mohammed, with a 5-0 verdict.
Solanki and Varinder’s contest will be one of the most anticipated bouts during the quarterfinals on Wednesday.
Worlds bronze medallist Manish Kaushik (63.5kg), double Commonwealth Games medallist Mohammad Hussamuddin (57kg) and Asian bronze medalist Govind Sahani (48kg) were among the prominent boxers who made it to the last eight.
Important results (preliminary rounds):
- Asian Games 2023, September 29, Highlights from Hangzhou 2022: Nikhat Zareen seals Olympic quota and semis spot; Kiran wins Shot Put Bronze; Squash Men's Team in final
- ICC World Cup 2023 Live Score Warm-ups: Williamson retires out after hitting fifty; Litton falls as BAN loses first wicket
- American gymnast Simone Biles returns to World Championship in Antwerp
- India wins first athletics medal at Asian Games 2023: Kiran Baliyan bags bronze in women’s shot put
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 29 - LIVE - India fourth with 8 gold, 33 medals in total, China crosses 100-gold mark