Former Asian Championships gold medallist Shiva Thapa, Sachin and Amit Kumar advanced to the quarterfinals of the ASBC Asian Boxing Championships in Amman, Jordan, on Friday.
Thapa won a closely fought bout against Mongolia’s Byambatsogt Tuguldur. Both Thapa and Tuguldur went toe-to-toe from the beginning and landed some heavy blows on each other, making it a very close contest. In the end, the Indian boxer prevailed to a 3-2 victory by split decision.
Thapa will now take on the winner of the bout between Haidara Alasaly and Minsu Choi in the quarterfinals.
Meanwhile, Amit (67kg) beat Chinese Taipei’s Zheng-Rong Huang, while Sachin (71kg) lost the first round before bouncing back to beat Thailand’s Peerapat Yeasungnoen 5-0.
Later tonight, Ananta Chopade (54kg) and Etash Khan (60kg) will be in action against Japan’s Tanaka Shogo and Thailand’s Khunatip Pudnich respectively in their pre-quarterfinals bout.
In the women’s category, seven Indian women boxers including Tokyo Olympic bronze medalist Lovlina will be kicking off their campaign from the quarter-final stage on Saturday.
The competition is witnessing the participation of 267 boxers from 27 top boxing nations.
- IND vs AUS live score 3rd ODI: Rohit, Kohli, Kuldeep return as India looks to cleansweep Australia; toss at 1 PM
- Table Tennis LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: India Men’s Doubles Round of 64, Mixed Doubles R-32 updates; Live action at 1:30pm IST
- Asian Games 2023: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol women’s final, Manu Bhaker finishes fifth
- Shooting LIVE SCORE Asian Games 2023: Sift wins gold with WR, Ashi bronze in 50m rifle 3P; Esha wins 25m women’s pistol silver; India wins 25m women’s pistol team gold- Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023, September 27 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Esha Singh bags silver in 25m pistol, Sift Kaur Samra wins 50m rifle 3p gold with new world record; India beats Singapore 13-0 in hockey, tennis results