Wrestling was one of six events to be featured at the 1930 Commonwealth Games in Hamilton. Though it was absent from the 2006 edition, it returned in Delhi 2010 Games.
The 11-member Indian contingent for Birmingham 2022 has promising medal prospects such as CWG double medallist Vinesh Phogat as well as Tokyo medallists Ravi Dahiya and Bajrang Punia.
The rule set adopted for the Commonwealth Games is freestyle. The match lasts a total of six minutes, divided into two periods of three minutes each.
In the end, if three or more points have been scored, the wrestler with the most points wins. In the case of a draw or neither wrestler scoring three points, the match goes into overtime.
The primary agenda remains to pin your opponent. A pin is where the shoulders are held down to the mat for one second. A pin wins the match regardless of score.
Another way to win a match is by proving technical superiority. This is done by gaining a ten points lead at any stage against your opponent.
- 1 point — Taking an opponent down to the mat in control
- 1 point — Holding an opponent with his shoulders exposed to the mat for five seconds
- 2 points — Turning an opponent's shoulders to the mat
- 5 points — High altitude throw which lands the opponent in a position of danger (i.e. his shoulders exposed to the mat)
- 5 points — Lifting an opponent off the ground and dumping him back to it scores five points.
Venue and Timings
The freestyle Wrestling event will take place at Coventry Stadium & Indoor Arena where competitors will compete across a range of different weight categories.
The event will take place on August 5 and 6, with starting at 7:30 pm IST on both days.
Indian squad for Wrestling
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND 100/3, needs 92 runs to win; India loses Rohit, Patidar in quick succession
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: Anubhav picks 5 to help MP comeback; Shorey departs after fifty
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Most runs by Indian batters in home series - Jaiswal equals Kohli at 2nd spot, Gavaskar at top
- NBA suspends five players for roles in Heat-Pelicans brawl
- MLS: Lionel Messi scores late as Inter Miami salvages 1-1 draw against LA Galaxy