K. Dinesh Karthik has been appointed as captain of the Tamil Nadu team for the Vijay Hazare Trophy one-day tournament in Mumbai from November 25 to December 5.
The wicket-keeper batter last led the State side in the 2021 season in white ball cricket, the highlight of which was the team’s Syed Mushtaq Ali triumph.
While only the captain was named on Thursday, the squad for the tournament will be decided on Friday, with Karthik expected to attend the meeting.
Washington Sundar led the side in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in Dehradun last month. But the all-rounder could be in the national reckoning for the five-match T20 series against Australia, which could make him unavailable for the Vijay Hazare trophy.
TN had a disappointing campaign in the T20 series, where it crashed out of the group stages, finishing fifth on the table out of seven sides. Last year, in Vijay Hazare, TN lost in the quarterfinals to Saurashtra and has yet to win the tournament since 2017.
Tamil Nadu is the most successful side in the competition with five titles, and Karthik’s return will bolster the team as it aims to get back to winning ways.
- Indian Super League 2023-24 Quiz — Set 1
- Dinesh Karthik to lead Tamil Nadu in Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023-24
- BCCI announce squads and fixtures for the upcoming U19 men’s quadrangular series
- Liverpool striker Luis Diaz’s father released by kidnappers after 12 days
- ATP Finals 2023 draw: Djokovic faces Sinner, Tsitsipas and Rune in group stage