India skipper Rohit Sharma became the first batter to hit 50 sixes in ODI World Cup history during the semifinal match against New Zealand at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday.
He reached the mark in his 27th World Cup innings with a six off pacer Trent Boult in the fifth over of the match, going past Chris Gayle’s tally of 49 maximums. Glenn Maxwell (43), AB de Villiers (37) and David Warner (37) round off the top-five list of six-hitters in the World Cup.
FOLLOW BLOG | INDIA VS NETHERLANDS WORLD CUP 2023 LIVE ACTION
He also went past Gayle to hit most sixes in a single edition with his 27th six. Gayle hit 26 sixes in 2019.
Earlier in the tournament, during India’s match against Afghanistan, Rohit had surpassed Gayle’s record of most sixes in international cricket.
On Wednesday, Rohit smashed four sixes to take his tally for the tournament to 28. With 22 sixes, Maxwell is the second-most prolific six-hitter in the ongoing tournament.
- Ranji Trophy Live Score 2024 Quarterfinals Day 3 Updates: Karnataka stumbles vs Vidarbha; Solanki smashes century vs Mumbai
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 3: ENG 142/8, leads by 188 runs; Foakes, Bashir frustrate IND
- Yathiraj, Pramod and Krishna win gold medals at Para Badminton World Championships
- Fighting knock from fighter’s son: Dhruv Jurel walks in footsteps of father, a Kargil War veteran
- Gopi Thonakal wins elite men’s race in New Delhi Marathon