Sri Lanka registered the third lowest first PowerPlay score in World Cup history during a CWC23 match against India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Thursday.
The Lankans only managed to score 14 runs in the first 10 overs while losing six wickets as Indian pacers Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj and Mohammed Shami wreaked havoc.
Sri Lanka lost Pathum Nissanka off the first ball of the innings when Bumrah moved the ball away from the right-hander after angling it in and trapped him leg-before. Mohammed Siraj then removed Dimuth Karunaratne and Sadeera Samarawickrama in the following over to leave Sri Lanka in dire straits.
In the fourth over, Siraj had skipper Kusal Mendis to leave Sri Lanka four wickets down for just three runs.
Charith Asalanka and Angelo Mathews kept the Indian pacers at bay for a little over six overs before Shami sent Asalanka and Dushan Hemantha back to the hut off consecutive deliveries in the 10th over.
Lowest PowerPlay scores in ODI World Cup
- Canada - 14/3 vs Zimbabwe at Nagpur in 2011
- Pakistan - 14/2 vs Zimbabwe at Brisbane in 2015
- Sri Lanka - 14/6 vs India at Mumbai in 2023
(Stat credit: Mohandas Menon)
- PSV held by Dortmund in Champions League last-16
- Haaland goal lifts Man City within a point of Liverpool
- Ratcliffe completes purchase of 25% stake in Man United
- Napoli vs Barcelona LIVE streaming info: When, where to watch UEFA Champions League Round of 16 First Leg
- Al Nassr vs Al Fayha LIVE streaming info, AFC Champions League, Round of 16: When and where to watch Ronaldo play today?