Former India head coach Ravi Shastri believes that despite the absence of Jasprit Bumrah and Ravindra Jadeja, the team has enough firepower to do well in the upcoming ICC WorldT20.
After winning the inaugural edition in 2007, India’s record at the global T20 event has been sub-par ever since.
“I think we have got enough strength. We are a good team and if you make the semis, it could be anyone’s tournament. So the endeavour will be to start well, get to the semis and then you have enough strengths to win the cup,” said Shastri.
When asked about how big a hit will be in the absence of Bumrah, the former India skipper and commentator said, “With Bumrah not being there, Jadeja not being there, it hampers a side but it is also an opportunity to unearth a new champion. There is so much cricket being played, people can get injured easily but there is nothing you can do about an injury.”
Evaluating the option of Mohammed Shami as a replacement in the squad, Shastri weighed in saying, “India has been there (in Australia) a lot in six years and he has been an integral part of all those tours and that experience counts.”
Shastri was in the city on Thursday for the launch of Coaching Beyond cricket academy at Lalaji Memorial Omega International School.
Coaching Beyond was founded by Shastri along with B. Arun and R. Sridhar, former India bowling and fielding coaches, respectively, and there is also a centre in Hyderabad.
- India vs Netherlands LIVE Score, World Cup 2023 Warm-up: Rain in Thiruvananthapuram; Toss, match streaming updates
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally October 3 - LIVE - India wins bronze in men’s canoe double 1000m, sits 4th with 62 medals, 13 golds
- India vs South Korea Kabaddi LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: IND inflicts all-out on KOR, leads 11-2 now
- Asian Games 2023 LIVE Updates, Hangzhou 2022 October 3 medals tally: Indian women vs South Korea in kabaddi; India wins bronze in canoe sprint, boxing; Lovlina enters gold medal match, wins Paris Olympics quota
- Pakistan vs Australia LIVE Score, World Cup 2023 warm-up: AUS wins toss to bat; match streaming updates