Australia have recalled Shane Watson and Shaun Tait and included newcomers Travis Head and Andrew Tie in their T20 squad for the series against India, beginning on January 26.
The inclusion of Head and Tye did not come as a surprise, following their excellent performances in the Big Bash League (BBL). Chris Lynn was also recalled to the squad based on his good show in the BBL.
“Shaun Tait returns on the basis that he is the quickest bowler going around in Australia at the moment and he offers us that explosive option if we choose to use it,” National Selector Rodney Marsh said in Melbourne on Monday. Watson, who had recently been dropped from the one-day side, was recalled on the basis of his experience and form in the BBL, Marsh added.
Australia will play three T20 matches and will use the series as a trial for some of its players ahead of the World T20.
Meanwhile, David Warner and Nathan Lyon are included in place of Usman Khawaja and Joel Paris.
Bumrah replaces Shami for India
As for India, Gujarat's Jasprit Bumrah will replace the injured Mohammed Shami. Shami was ruled out of both the ODI and T20I series after suffering a hamstring injury ahead of the first one-dayer. Bumrah will leave for Australia on January 22 along with Yuvraj Singh, Harbhajan Singh, Ashish Nehra, Suresh Raina and Hardik Pandya.
Australia’s T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Scott Boland, Cameron Boyce, James Faulkner, John Hastings, Travis Head, Nathan Lyon, Chris Lynn, Glenn Maxwell, Shaun Marsh, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Shaun Tait, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Shane Watson.
- Shardul Thakur laments lack of rest between Ranji Trophy matches, calls for better scheduling
- DC-W vs GG-W live score, WPL 2024: Delhi Capitals 111/3 (13); Lanning departs after fifty; Meghna takes three
- WPL 2024: Wounded RCB hopes to provide some cheer to crowd, takes on UP Warriorz in last home game
- Manchester derby LIVE: Man City vs Man United, MCI v MUN, Starting lineups in, Premier League updates
- Olympic Boxing Qualifier 2024: Deepak goes down fighting on opening day against Nijat of Azerbaijan