Cricket South Africa (CSA) today slapped a lengthy 20-year ban on India-born former all-rounder Gulam Bodi after he admitted to “contriving or attempting to fix matches” during the country's domestic Twenty20 competition last year.
Bodi, who was in IPL side Delhi Daredevils' squad in 2012, was charged with several counts of contriving or attempting to fix matches at the Ram Slam T20 Challenge Series on December 31, 2015 following an investigation conducted by CSA's Anti-Corruption and Security Unit.
“Bodi is immediately banned for a period of 20 years from participating in, or being involved in any capacity in, any international or domestic match or any other kind of function, event or activity (other than authorised anti-corruption education or rehabilitation programmes) that is authorised, organised, sanctioned, recognised or supported in any way by CSA, the ICC, a National Cricket Federation or any member of a National Cricket Federation,” the CSA said in a statement.
“Five of those years are suspended on condition that Bodi commits no further offences under the Code and demonstrates to CSA's reasonable satisfaction that he has actively and constructively participated in corruption-related player education programmes when asked to do so,” it added.
37-year-old Bodi played in two One-Day Internationals (ODIs) for South Africa, both against Zimbabwe, in 2007. He played in a single Twenty20 International against West Indies the same year. He was a member of South Africa's squad for the inaugural World Twenty20 in 2007, although he did not play in a single game.
Bodi was born in Hathuran (Gujarat) in India and his family moved to South Africa when he was a teenager. He also played for the South Africa Under-19 side in the World Cup in 1998.
Bodi had until January 18 to respond to the charges
Under the provisions of the Anti-Corruption Code for Personnel, Bodi had until January 18, 2016 to respond to the charges. CSA issued a decision outlining the process it adopted with respect to adjudication of sanctions upon Bodi. “CSA thoroughly considered all the relevant factors and determined that a lengthy ban was appropriate,” CSA Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said.
“Our attitude to corruption will always be one of zero tolerance. There is no doubt that Mr Bodi’s actions have threatened the integrity and image of the game that we love and he must be handed a strong punishment. We have had many discussions with Mr Bodi and he accepts the folly of his actions,” he added.
Lorgat said he hoped that Bodi would assist CSA in reminding players of the dangers of corrupt behaviour. “We are fortunate in this instance that several players rejected his approaches and, as a direct result of our integrity processes, which include CSA and SACA player education programmes, the matter was brought to light and meticulously investigated.
“There are no winners in this sort of ill-fated and unfortunate matter. However, all of us in the cricket community must learn from this experience and remain vigilant. We expect that that Mr Bodi himself will learn and will actively assist us in reminding players of the dangers of corrupt behaviour,” said Lorgat.
- Yashasvi Jaiswal breaks into top-20 of ICC Test Rankings
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter