England's Jonny Bairstow has withdrawn from the Melbourne Stars' upcoming Big Bash League campaign after he was recalled for international duty, the Australian Twenty20 franchise said on Thursday.
The 10th edition of the Twenty20 event begins on Dec. 10 and the 31-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman was set to make his tournament debut after Christmas.
However, Bairstow is now expected to be called up to England's Test squad for the tour of Sri Lanka in January.
“We're naturally disappointed Jonny won't be able to link up with us this season but we wish him well on his recall and England's winter tours,” Stars coach David Hussey said.
England has yet to confirm its Test squad for the Sri Lanka series. Bairstow, who is currently part of the limited-overs squad in South Africa, has not played a Test this year after a difficult 2019 but scored a century in England's last Test in Sri Lanka two years ago.
- WPL 2024: Fatima Jaffer, the fascinating story of a rare ambidextrous bowler
- WPL 2024: Defending champion Mumbai Indians clashes against Delhi Capitals in tournament opener
- Qatar Open: Czech teenager Mensik stuns top seed Rublev to reach maiden ATP semifinal
- PVL 2024: Ahmedabad Defenders and Chennai Blitz continue winning form with consecutive victories
- Dubai Championships 2024: Swiatek takes out Zheng, Cirstea saves six match points in quarterfinal win over Vondrousova