RB Leipzig was given more than a helping hand by Cologne as a 3-1 victory helped the team remain within touching distance of Bayern Munich in the Bundesliga.
Bayern demolished Hamburg 8-0 at the Allianz Arena, but remains only five points clear of Ralph Hasenhuttl's men.
Emil Forsberg opened the scoring in the fifth minute at the Red Bull Arena, Cologne goalkeeper Thomas Kessler punished for straying from his position and failing to get the ball clear of danger.
A Dominic Maroh own-goal continued the charitable theme from the visiting team, but it hit back shortly after the interval through Yuya Osako.
However, Leipzig was not to be denied and it re-established its two-goal cushion thanks to a wonderful solo goal from Timo Werner.
The Leipzig top-scorer latched on to a lofted ball on the right wing before driving almost half the length of the field towards goal and burying a low finish past Kessler at his near post.
- ICC World Cup 2023: Kusal Perera doubtful for Sri Lanka in WC opener, Dasun Shanaka expected to be available
- AFG vs SL highlights, World Cup 2023 warm-up: Afghanistan clinches six-wicket win via DLS method
- Will Parul Chaudhary’s dream run in Asian Games land the athlete her dream job?
- Irani Cup 2023: Emerging pacer Vidwath Kaverappa takes inspiration from McGrath
- PAK vs AUS, World Cup warm-ups: Australia, Pakistan complete formalities with run fest in Hyderabad