Maurizio Sarri said he wanted to send a message to his squad after dropping Kepa Arrizabalaga from the starting XI for Chelsea's Premier League clash with Tottenham.
Kepa refused to be substituted during Sunday's EFL Cup final defeat to Manchester City, but both the goalkeeper and his coach explained the incident away as a misunderstanding.
Chelsea's record signing was subsequently fined a week's wages by the club for his conduct and, for the visit of Spurs, has been replaced by Willy Caballero - the man who was ready to come on when Kepa stood his ground at Wembley.
Addressing his selection ahead of kick-off at Stamford Bridge, Sarri was keen to stress that Chelsea is a team and not a collection of individuals.
"It's a choice," he told BT Sport of the decision. "It's a message for my group that we are a group and not 25 players."
Latest on Sportstar
- WTC Final LIVE Score, IND vs AUS Day 1: India to bowl first vs Australia; Ashwin out of Playing XI in Rohit’s 50th Test
- Moeen Ali comes out of Test retirement for Ashes 2023
- IND vs AUS Dream 11 prediction, WTC Final 2023: India vs Australia Playing 11 updates, fantasy picks, pitch report, squads
- WTC Final 2023: Rohit Sharma, Pat Cummins feature in their 50th Tests at Oval
- IND vs AUS WTC Final, London weather update LIVE: Will it rain on Day 1 at the Oval during India vs Australia?