Uruguay will be aiming to improve on its disappointing group-stage exit from three years ago when it kicks off its 2019 Copa America campaign against Ecuador on Sunday.
Oscar Tabarez's side has won the competition a record 15 times, most recently in 2011, but it fell short at the first hurdle in 2016 and far more is expected this time around.
Boasting a squad including the likes of Diego Godin, Edinson Cavani, Fernando Muslera and Luis Suarez - on course to play a full part in this opener after recovering from knee surgery - Uruguay is considered third favourite behind Brazil and Argentina.
It begins its latest bid for glory in Belo Horizonte against 2024 host Ecuador, which enters the tournament on the back of a poor run of form.
Hernan Dario Gomez's men have lost two and drawn two of their last four matches and face a tough task to advance from a group that also contains defending champion Chile and Japan which, along with Qatar, have been invited to the tournament by CONMEBOL to bring the number of teams to 12.
That bad run of results is in stark contrast to Uruguay, which has won all three of its matches in 2019, scoring 10 goals and conceding none – albeit against moderate opposition in Uzbekistan, Thailand and Panama.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Uruguay - Luis Suarez
No current Uruguay player has scored more Copa America goals than Suarez's four, despite the Barcelona striker only appearing in one tournament - all six of his appearances came in their successful 2011 campaign. After his 2018-19 was cut short by a knee injury, the 32-year-old will be keen to hit the ground running.
Ecuador - Enner Valencia
Captain Antonio Valencia boasts plenty of experience after spending the past decade at Manchester United, but namesake Enner - another player with Premier League pedigree - is the man Ecuador often rely on. Now plying his trade for Mexican side Tigres, his goal against Venezuela earlier this month saw him net in a sixth straight game for his country.
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 40/3 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez