Manchester City has trailed Arsenal for the most part of the Premier League 2022-23 season. In the last three months, until the loss to Brighton on Sunday, Arsenal has lost twice in 16 games – both times to Man City.
After their latest clash, City returned to the top of the Premier League and has remained there since.
Earlier on Sunday, Ilkay Gundogan scored two brilliant goals and teed up Erling Haaland for another to inspire Manchester City to a 3-0 win at Everton. With three games remaining, Pep Guardiola’s treble-chasing side has 85 points.
After Brighton and Hove Albion’s win over the Gunners, Mikel Arteta’s side trails City by four points.
Premier League table at the moment:
How can Manchester City win the Premier League title from here?
Since Arsenal lost to Brighton, Manchester City will need a win against Chelsea to secure the league title, its third in a row.
How can Arsenal win the Premier League title from here?
Arsenal will have to win both its remaining games, against Wolves and Nottingham Forest, respectively and hope Man City either:
- Lose all its remaining three games, against Chelsea, Brighton and Brentford.
- Lose two and draw one match.
- Draw two games and lose one and have a lower goal difference than Arsenal.
With City on a rich vein of form - its last defeat in any competition came more than three months ago - Arsenal’s chances are slim to say the least. To make it worse, City has a 19 goal advantage on Arsenal in the goal difference, making the third criteria highly unlikely.
Latest on Sportstar
- Karnataka beats Namibia by nine wickets in first One-Day
- Jarry making up for lost time at French Open after suspension
- Saudi Arabia’s Al Ittihad to sign Benzema on two-year deal - Saudi state media
- WTC Final 2023: Josh Hazlewood ruled out, Michael Neser named replacement in Australia squad
- Karim Benzema to leave Real Madrid, to play last match against Athletic Bilbao on Sunday