Tottenham goalkeeper Hugo Lloris has been ruled out for the rest of the season due to a thigh injury.
The 36-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of Tottenham’s 6-1 thrashing at Newcastle on April 23.
The French World Cup winner has not featured since then, and caretaker boss Ryan Mason on Friday confirmed Tottenham’s captain is sidelined for the remainder of the campaign.
“Hugo’s out for the season,” Mason said ahead of Saturday’s visit to Crystal Palace.
“We had the results back. Obviously disappointing, but we kind of feared that initially. We did some more tests, and he won’t play for us again this season.”
Lloris has only one year left on his Tottenham contract and could leave north London in the close-season as his troubled club face up to a turbulent period.
Tottenham is nine points adrift of the top four with only four games left.
Mason is its third manager this season after the departure of Antonio Conte and the sacking of his interim replacement Cristian Stellini.
“I can’t speak about next season, but what I can say is that Hugo has a very important role for us until the end of the season,” Mason said.
“We need him. We need him to be part of the group, and I’m sure he will be.”
Mason also paid tribute to “amazing” Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson, who gave him his solitary England cap in 2015.
“I will obviously always have a soft spot for Roy Hodgson because he gave me my England debut,” he said of the 75-year-old.
“I think the most important thing in football is if you have the fire inside you and if you can influence players, and he’s definitely got that still.”
- South Africa vs Bangladesh Live Score, World Cup 2023: BAN 47/4 (12.4); Coetzee removes Rahim to put SA on top
- Manav Thakkar lifts UTT National Ranking trophy after winning seven-game thriller against veteran Sharath Kamal
- ODI World Cup 2023: Angelo Mathews replaces injured Matheesha Pathirana in Sri Lanka squad
- Asian Para Games 2023 medals tally LIVE Updates: October 24 - India fifth with 10 gold medals; China on top
- Bishan Singh Bedi cremated in attendance of Indian sports legends