Manchester City has signed Argentina international Julian Alvarez from River Plate on a five-and-a-half-year deal, the Premier League champion said on Monday.
The 22-year-old forward will remain at the Buenos Aires side on loan until July, 2022.
Argentine newspaper Ole reported that City will pay River $26 million dollars (19 million pounds) for Alvarez, making him the club's most expensive sale since Javier Saviola moved to Barcelona in 2001.
ALSO READ : Frank Lampard appointed as Everton manager
"Julian is a player we have monitored for some time," City director of football Txiki Begiristain said.
"He is capable of operating in a number of attacking roles, and we firmly believe he's one of the best young attacking players in South America."
Alvarez scored 18 goals to help River Plate win the Argentine league title in November. He made his international debut last year and was a member of the Argentina squad that won the Copa America.
Premier League leader City sold Spain striker Ferran Torres to Barcelona in January.
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- I-League 2023-24 points table LIVE: Sreenidi Deccan on top tied with Mohammedan Sporting Club, I-League standings
- IND vs AUS, 5th T20I: Arshdeep Singh holds nerve in tense final over as India wins series 4-1
- EURO 2024: Which group is the Group of Death at the European Championship?