English singer Robbie Williams began the World Cup with an obscene gesture towards the camera during the FIFA World Cup 2018 glitzy opening ceremony.
The pop star was singing at the Luzhniki Stadium before the first game of the tournament and suddenly showed his middle finger to the TV cameras, with millions of viewers watching the event live.
The former Take That singer was the star turn of a colourful, 15-minute performance which featured a duet of ‘ Angels ’ with Russian soprano Aida Garifullina, dancers and Brazilian football legend Ronaldo.
Users took to social network to mock and show their dissent for the singer's gesture.
Williams had been criticised in both Russia and England before the event for agreeing to participate in the ceremony.
- ISL 2023-24: Substitute Sivasakthi hero with the late winner as Bengaluru FC edges past Hyderabad
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Harris, Sehrawat keep Warriorz’ chase alive
- East Bengal midfielder Saul Crespo returns to Kolkata for rehab
- India loses to Australia in shootout of FIH Men’s Pro League 2023-24
- Sri Lanka T20 skipper Wanindu Hasaranga gets two-match ban for abusing umpire