Brazil made it two wins from two in 2026 World Cup qualifying on Tuesday after a late goal from Marquinhos earned them a 1-0 win over Peru in Lima.
Brazil, which crushed Bolivia 5-1 at home on Friday, moved level on six points with rival Argentina at the top of the South American qualifying standings.
Interim coach Fernando Diniz’s side dominated possession and attacking opportunities early in the game but Raphinha and Richarlison saw goals ruled out for offside in the first half.
With the game heading towards a scoreless draw Paris St Germain defender Marquinhos headed home Neymar’s corner at the near post to seal the win in the 90th minute.
The five-times world champions will host Venezuela before visiting Uruguay next month when qualifying continues.
In other qualifiers earlier on Tuesday, Argentina cruised past Bolivia 3-0, Venezuela beat 1-0 Paraguay, Uruguay lost 2-1 at Ecuador, while Chile and Colombia drew 0-0.
- New Zealand vs Sri Lanka Live Score, World Cup 2023: Rain threat looms in Bengaluru; NZ vs SL predicted XI
- Australia coach Arnold calls up uncapped Yengi for FIFA World Cup 2026 qualifiers
- Can New Zealand still reach World Cup 2023 semifinals if NZ vs SL in Bengaluru is washed out?
- NBA 2023 Roundup: Nikola Jokic scores 35 as Nuggets beat Warriors in thriller
- Asian Archery C’Ships: Parneet defeats Jyothi to clinch title; India’s compound mixed, women’s team win gold