Despite what was supposed to be some unfavourable conditions in the heat of Qatar, some of the fastest players in the world have clocked impressive speeds at the ongoing FIFA World Cup.
While France’s Kylian Mbappe and Canada’s Alphonso Davies are regarded as two of the most rapid runners in the game, it’s not the pair who feature at the top.
Ghana’s Kamaldeen Sulemana gets the top honours at the end of the group stages in the team’s 2-0 defeat to Uruguay when he ran at a speed of 35.7 kmph.
So far in the tournament, Argentina captain Lionel Messi’s top speed has been 31.4 kmph in the defeat to Saudi Arabia, while his archrival Cristiano Ronaldo of Portugal has touched 32.1 kmph in the win over Ghana.
Only 13 players registered speeds of 35kmph and above in the 48 matches of the group stages.
Top speeds (in kmph)
Fastest players by nation
RELATED WORLD CUP STORIES
- Check out Sportstar’s coverage of World Cup in Qatar
- Scan the World Cup in pictures
- Football fans, put your skills to the test with FIFA World Cup Quiz
- Soak in the rich history of the football World Cup
- WATCH: What’s happening in Qatar and who is saying what
- Here are some of the most frequently asked questions
Latest on Sportstar
- Rahane stands at crossroads in his comeback Test
- Ravi Dahiya pulls out of from Bishkek Ranking Series after injury during warmup
- Mbappe targets Ligue 1 scoring record with PSG next season
- Sanjivani Jadhav finishes second in women’s 10,000m at Portland Track Festival
- WTC Final 2023: Cameron Green hopes to bring in Rohit Sharma’s calmness in title clash