Spain manager Luis Enrique on Sunday said he would like midfielder Sergio Busquets to play another FIFA World Cup.
Also Read | Hansi Flick: ‘Team needs more self-confidence’
After Spain took a lead through an Alvaro Morota goal in the 62nd minute, Germany landed one blow after another on Spain’s defence in search of a goal. Although Germany eventually managed an equaliser in the 83rd minute, when Niclas Fullkrug scored, the Spanish midfield, led by 34-year-old Bosquets, and defence headed by 33-year-old Jordi Alba kept the German attack in check.
Enrique said, “Jordi Alba is a top player, as is Busquets. Some people get tired of older players, but these guys are still amazing. I do not bring these guys here to have fun.”
Also Read | FIFA WC 2022 points table, Group E standings after Matchday 8: Spain leads table, Germany at bottom
He added, “Jordi is the best wing-back in the final third and still defends so well. People have been trying to retire Busquets for years but I want to convince him to play another World Cup!”
Spain now needs only a draw in its final game against Japan on December 2 to progress to the knockout round as the first-placed side in its group.
Latest on Sportstar
- Karim Benzema signs for Saudi Arabia’s Al-Ittihad: club source
- Singapore Open 2023: Sindhu, Prannoy exit in first round; Srikanth, Arjun-Dhruv duo enter second round
- Women’s Junior Asia Cup 2023: India secures 2-2 draw against Korea
- Bucks announce Griffin as head coach
- WTC Final 2023: Boland to play against India, confirms captain Cummins