Vinicius Jr. looked to have scored the opening goal for Brazil against Switzerland at Stadium 974, only to see it being ruled offside in the FIFA World Cup Group H match on Monday.
Before the beginning of the counter-attack, Richarlison was seen strolling in the Switzerland half, in an offside position. When the ball was passed to Vinicius, the Tottenham forward blocked Switzerland from tracking back, leading to an obstruction in play.
Vinicius ably controlled the ball, skipped past a challenge and deposited the ball in the goal past Swiss keeper Yann Sommer for what he thought to be the opener. His effort though was ruled out, after a rather prolonged gap.
To add to the confusion, after a delayed VAR check, the referee pointed to the centre spot for the off side free kick, which led fans to think that it was a goal.
The Brazil players had celebrated joyfully, only for the referees decision to drag the game back to a stalemate.
However, Brazil did find the breakthrough late in the second half, when Casemiro broke the deadlock, equalling his World Cup goal tally with Kaka, with the Manchester United midfielder finding his sixth goal for the Selecao.
That goal eventually proved to to be the winner as the South American World Cup favourites kept its 100 percent win record in Qatar 2022, intact.
With the win, Brazil became the second team to seal qualification to the round of 16 in this edition of the FIFA World Cup, after France.
- Check out Sportstar’s coverage of World Cup in Qatar
- Scan the World Cup in pictures
- Football fans, put your skills to the test with FIFA World Cup Quiz
- Soak in the rich history of the football World Cup
- WATCH: What’s happening in Qatar and who is saying what
- Here are some of the most frequently asked questions
- World Cup 2023: Pakistan vs New Zealand warm-up match to be played behind closed doors
- AFC Cup: Mohun Bagan beats Odisha FC 4-0, begins campaign in style
- Odisha FC vs Mohun Bagan SG AFC Cup HIGHLIGHTS: OFC 0-4 MBSG, Dimitri scores brace as Mariners demolish Juggernauts
- Why was Ravichandran Ashwin picked in ODI team despite not playing the format since Jan 2022
- Asian Games 2023, September 20: Indians in Action, schedule, events, LIVE streaming details, timings in IST