Indian Arrows rode on skipper Amarjit Singh's 66th minute strike to defeat Gokulam Kerala FC 1-0 in their I-League fixture at the Barabati Stadium here on Friday.
With the win, Indian Arrows jumps to the ninth spot, while Gokulam Kerala FC remains eighth on the points table.
The visitor began the game on an attacking note, but the Indian Arrows looked solid at the back. Gokulam coach Bino George started with a strong attacking line-up that included new recruit Rohit Mirza.
The home side managed to make a few forays into the Kerala box but struggled to find the finishing touch. Rahul KP, Boris Singh and Rahim Ali displayed attacking intent, but could not get past Gokulam’s Ghanian defender Daniel Addo. The two teams went into the half-time interval with the scoreline remaining 0-0.
Gokulam Kerala pressed hard in an attempt to take an early lead in the second half but simply failed to find breach the home side's defence. Gokulam midfielder Felipe Castro's free-kick in the 63rd minute could have easily gone into the net but Daniel Addo misplaced his header.
Castro was back in action two minutes later as he tripped Vikram Pratap Singh in the Gokulam box and gifted the host a penalty. Indian arrows captain Amarjit rose to the occasion and coolly slotted the ball home to give his side the crucial lead.
Gokulam tried to claw its way back into the game and staged many a late attack but was denied on each attempt. The Arrows held on to their slender lead to seal a memorable win.
Latest on Sportstar
- Roland Garros 2023: Svitolina returns to French Open quarterfinals by downing Kasatkina
- Monfils and Svitolina - a support system for each other on and off the court
- It’s better to stay a bit underdone than overdone: Cummins on lack of game time ahead of WTC final
- In England, you never feel in but you will have an intuition when to attack: Rohit Sharma
- NBA Finals: Heat’s Cody Zeller upgraded to probable for Game 2