World football body FIFA today said it was awaiting an official communication regarding the setting aside of the election of All India Football Federation (AIFF) president Praful Patel .
“FIFA is awaiting an official communication from the AIFF concerning the said matter. We have no further comment for the time being,” a FIFA spokesperson told PTI today.
According to football experts, the FIFA may not act in haste as the decision has been taken by a court of law. It has nothing to do with factionalism in the national federation and it isn't something arising out of government interference.
The Delhi High court yesterday set aside the election of Patel in December 2016 for not following the National Sports Code. The court appointed former chief election commissioner S Y Quraishi as an administrator to look into the functioning of the AIFF while also directing that fresh election be conducted within a period of five months.
Patel, a former Union Minister, served as acting president of the AIFF for one year after longtime head Priya Ranjan Dasmunshi suffered a cardiac arrest in 2008. He took over as full-time president in October 2009 before being re-elected for the top job in December 2012.
He was re-elected unopposed as AIFF president for his third successive term in December last year.
Meanwhile, with the detailed judgment awaiting, Quraishi is yet to take charge as administrator. As soon as the detailed judgment is available, the AIFF top brass will meet to chalk out the future course of action.
- India vs England Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 1: ENG 241/6; Root, Hartley at crease after Siraj removes Foakes
- Loose drain cover stops F1 testing for the second day in a row
- Smriti in confident space with her cricket and leadership: RCB coach Luke Williams
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, 2023-24 Quarterfinal updates: Sai Kishore, Ajith pick 3 as SAU collapse; Rathod falls for 93 vs KAR
- Indian sports wrap, February 23