East Bengal began its Indian Women’s League 2023-24 campaign in style, defeating Sports Odisha 2-0 at the Capital Football Arena in Bhuvneshwar on Sunday.
Last year’s quarterfinalist, coached by Dipankar Biswas, began in whirlwind fashion, storming the rival goal from the word go. It paid dividends almost immediately as it took the lead in just the second minute, courtesy forward Nongmeikapam Sibani Devi, a junior international who has represented the country in various Under-17 tournaments.
Once having taken the lead, East Bengal took control and managed to keep the advantage despite Odisha’s efforts to make a comeback.
The local side’s spirit got dampened further when the Kolkata team consolidated its position with yet another strike in the 59th minute. Kshetrimayum Margaret Devi was the scorer this time and it put paid to Odisha’s hopes.
Sports Odisha will next face Odisha FC on December 15 while East Bengal will take on Kickstart FC the next day.
- WPL 2024: Sajana smashes last ball six as Mumbai Indians seals dramatic opener vs Delhi Capitals
- MI vs DC Highlights, WPL 2024: Last-ball six from Sajana clinches thriller for Mumbai Indians
- Dubai Championships 2024: Qualifier Kalinskaya upsets World No. 1 Swiatek, faces Paolini in final
- ISL 2023-24: Bipin grabs brace as Mumbai City cruises to win against Chennaiyin
- Manchester United to play Arsenal in one of FIFA World Cup 2026 venues during pre-season