The growing Spanish influence in the ongoing season of the Indian Super League (ISL) could make the tournament interesting in the final stages. Victor Perez and Daniel Segovia (Bengaluru FC), along with Manuel Jesus (FC Pune City), are three-lesser known foreign names who could make an impact in the semifinals.
The first of the two play-off matches, between Pune and Bengaluru, will be played at the Balewadi stadium on Wednesday.
Former Real Valladolid midfielder Perez — who came in as a replacement following Edu Garcia’s move to the Chinese Super League team Zhejiang Lucheng — is yet to play in the ISL.
Segovia walked in as cover for the injured Braulio Nobrega. He appeared in two games. Manuel (also known as ‘Lolo’) played four.
It remains to be seen if the Spaniards can rise to the occasion.
- NBA roundup: Cavs’ Max Strus hits half-court winner at buzzer
- Uday Saharan wins Emerging Hero award at the Sportstar ‘Focus Punjab’ Conclave
- WPL 2024: Royal Challengers Bangalore looks to maintain win-streak as it faces Delhi Capitals
- Brigadier Harcharan Singh honoured with Sportstar Hero Unsung Champion award at ‘Focus Punjab’ Sports Conclave
- Punjab’s sports policy unparalleled in the country, says Sports Minister Gurmeet Singh Meet Hayer