The coach of an Italian junior league team was sacked on Saturday for inflicting a humiliating 27-0 defeat on opponent.
Paolo Brogelli, president of Invictasauro, a team based in Grosseto, Tuscany, slammed his team's win over rival Marina Calcio as “disrespectful”.
“We learned with amazement and regret the score of the match in which our junior team scored 27 goals,” Brogelli said in a statement reported in the Italian press.
“The values of youth team football are antithetical to such a thing.
“The opponent must always be respected and today it has not happened. As president I sincerely apologise to the Marina team. Our board has decided, unanimously, to sack (coach) Mr. Riccini.
“Our coaches have a duty to train and, above all, to educate children. This has not happened today.”
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures