The injury that forced Andre Gomes to withdraw from the Portugal squad has been confirmed as bruising by Barcelona. Midfielder Gomes left the Portugal camp after suffering a muscle injury to his right leg during Thursday's 5-0 friendly win over Gibraltar.
He joined Barca from Valencia during the close season and his injury came on the same day that Lionel Messi pulled out of Argentina's next qualifier in Venezuela due to a groin problem.
Gomes will miss the European champion's opening 2018 World Cup qualifier against Switzerland on Tuesday as a result, but Barcelona's early prognosis suggests only a short stint on the sidelines. "Andre Gomes has returned to Barcelona from international duty with Portugal due to an injury," read a statement.
"The medical examination undertaken this morning by the club’s doctors has confirmed that the player has a muscular contusion on his right leg. "In the next week, it will be determined when he can return to the squad."
Latest on Sportstar
- UFC 289: Amanda Nunes puts aside retirement thoughts to focus on Irena Aldana
- Pep Guardiola, the sought-after philosopher coach, chases holy grail of Champions League for Manchester City
- UFC 289: Nunes vs Aldana- Live streaming info, preview, full fight card, key stats
- Swiatek vs Muchova, French Open 2023 Women’s Final: Preview, Head-to-head record, streaming info
- Swiatek vs Muchova Live Score, French Open 2023 women’s final: Defending champion faces unseeded Czech opponent