Giovani Lo Celso will sign permanently for Real Betis when his loan from Paris Saint-Germain comes to an end, according to club president Jose Miguel Lopez Catalan.
The 22-year-old midfielder has been in fine form since joining Betis in August and shone in the club's shock 4-3 victory over Barcelona on Sunday.
Lo Celso scored in the 71st minute at Camp Nou to put Betis 3-1 up and put in an eye-catching performance in a game that saw Lionel Messi score twice for the hosts on his return from injury.
Lopez Catalan said that the club would endeavour to keep Lo Celso when his loan expires in June, and explained that Betis has a compulsory clause to purchase the player should it qualify for European competition as well as first refusal if it does not.
"It is very clear that Lo Celso is going to stay at Betis. We are convinced. We were convinced throughout the summer," Lopez Catalan told
Radio Marca .
Lopez Catalan was in talks with Barcelona over the potential signing of Rafinha before the season started but he claimed that Lo Celso was always the preferred option.
"He was our option number one and is proving that he is the player we believed. There is a mandatory purchase option for €25million if we enter Europe. And, if not, it is optional for us and mandatory for PSG, if we carry it out," said the Betis chief.
- Bahrain Grand Prix: F1 champion Verstappen of Red Bull on pole for season-opener
- Ranji Trophy semifinal: Chandrakant Pandit eyes victory against former side as Vidarbha, Madhya Pradesh face off
- German Open 2024: Jolly-Gayatri bow out of quarterfinals, lose to Chinese pair of Jing-Min
- Mohun Bagan vs Jamshedpur FC highlights, MBSG 3-0 JFC, ISL 2023-24: Sadiku, Cummings, Petratos goals guide Mariners to comfortable win
- ISL 2023-24: Mohun Bagan Super Giant cruises to win against Jamshedpur FC