Real Madrid earned a scrappy 1-0 victory at Sevilla on Saturday thanks to an own goal from keeper Bono to snap a three-game winless run in La Liga and ease the pressure on coach Zinedine Zidane.
The only goal came in the 56th minute when Bono attempted to claim a low cross from Ferland Mendy towards Vinicius Jr. but completely missed the ball, which bounced off his leg and trickled into the net.
Sevilla dominated the remainder of the game and nearly equalised with a free kick from Nemanja Gudelj which brushed the side netting, a curling strike from Suso which just missed the top corner and an acrobatic effort from Lucas Ocampos which Thibaut Courtois tipped away.
Madrid was in desperate need of victory after defeats by Alaves in La Liga and Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League and the win lifted it to third in the standings on 20 points, leaving Sevilla fifth on 16.
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Kotian, Deshpande script record-breaking feat as Mumbai enters semis
- Maiden First-Class ton after 110 overs of wicketkeeping: Tamore’s grit takes Mumbai to safety in Ranji Trophy quarterfinal
- Ranji Trophy 2023-24 quarterfinals: Mumbai takes lead past 400 against Baroda on Day 4 as Tamore hits century
- Don’t take the game lightly and never consider yourself bigger than the game: Chandrakant Pandit
- To Sir, with love: Madhya Pradesh repays Chandrakant Pandit’s words of wisdom with exhilarating win against Andhra