Real Madrid eased to a 2-0 home victory over Real Mallorca on Wednesday thanks to goals in each half from Vinicius Jr. and Sergio Ramos to stay in charge of the La Liga title race ahead of Barcelona.
Brazilian youngster Vinicius opened the scoring with a cool finish in the 19th minute after missing an earlier chance and he hit the crossbar later in the first half.
Captain Ramos doubled Madrid's lead with a superb free kick, curling the ball over the wall and into the top corner to score his eighth goal of the league season and his 10th in all competitions.
Mallorca forward Luka Romero, 15, became the youngest player to make his La Liga debut when he came off the bench.
Real's fourth win in a row since the season returned took it back to the top of the table on 68 points after 31 games, level with Barcelona but ahead of the Catalans due to a superior head-to-head record.
Sociedad cedes ground
Real Sociedad lost 1-0 to Celta Vigo on Wednesday to remain winless after the pandemic break and lose ground in the fight for Champions League places.
It was the third straight loss for Sociedad after opening with a draw when the league resumed. The result left the Basque Country club in seventh place, six points from fourth-place Sevilla in the final Champions League spot.
Sociedad was in fourth place when the league was halted after winning four of its previous five matches. It can drop to eighth after the round is completed. The club was coming off another home loss, against Real Madrid.
- IND vs AUS, 3rd T20I: With so much dew even 14 runs per over would have been chased, says Gaikwad defending Prasidh and co.
- India’s Ashwal Rai, Muthusamy urge home support during Volleyball Club World Championships 2023
- Vijay Hazare Trophy 2023 LIVE Score, Round 4: Baroda 40/3 in 167-run chase vs TN; Mumbai beats Pondicherry by 7 wickets; Saurashtra eyes big win vs Odisha
- Barca has shown ‘winning mentality’ in Champions League, says Xavi
- Pakistan players told to put country before franchise leagues under new team director Hafeez