Lokomotiv Moscow defender Innokentiy Samokhvalov died during an individual training session forced by the coronavirus lockdown, the Russian club announced on Monday.
“He felt bad during an individual training session, the circumstances (surrounding his death) are still being clarified,” Lokomotiv said in a statement.
“He was a kind, nice man, a good friend. It's deeply sad for our family.”
Samokhvalov, 22, arrived at Lokomotiv in 2015 but is yet to make an appearance in the Russian Premier League. He currently plays for Lokomotiv's reserve team Kazanka in Russia's third tier.
His coach at Kazanka, Alexander Grishin, said that Samokhvalov had suffered a “cardiac arrest”.
- I-League 2023-24 Top Scorers: Here are the leading goalscorers after matchday seven
- EURO 2024 playoffs: Which are the teams involved, when will the matches be played?
- I-League 2023-24 points table LIVE: Sreenidi Deccan on top tied with Mohammedan Sporting Club, I-League standings
- IND vs AUS, 5th T20I: Arshdeep Singh holds nerve in tense final over as India wins series 4-1
- EURO 2024: Which group is the Group of Death at the European Championship?