Marcello Lippi was accused Friday of neglect and delivering “a slap in the face” amid grumblings that China's coach is not doing enough to justify one of the highest salaries in football management.
Former Everton midfielder Li Tie will temporarily take charge of China’s national team at an East Asian championships next month in South Korea instead of the 71-year-old Italian World Cup winner.
Thursday’s announcement by the Chinese Football Association was greeted with anger by sections of local media, which said that it had nevertheless been long known that Lippi had opted to remain home in Italy for the tournament.
“But this doesn’t mean that this is not a problem,” said a scathing commentary in the influential Oriental Sports Daily .
“However, shouldn’t training the team be his job? Since he holds the salary of the position of the national football coach, he should do the work that the national football coach should do.”
The former Juventus and Italy boss Lippi, who quit as China’s coach in January only to return in May, reportedly earns 180 million yuan ($25 million) a year.
But suggesting that Lippi has little interest in the long-term development of Chinese football, Oriental Sports Daily added: “Lippi neglected his duties halfway.
“No matter whose face this slap lands on, one should follow up with a question -- who gave Lippi the qualification and power to do this?” Lippi is attempting to take China, ranked 69th in the FIFA world rankings, to only their second World Cup.
He has won 16 of his 36 matches in charge over two spells but his reign will be judged on whether he can get the world’s most populous country to the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
One report said that Lippi felt the South Korea trip was bad timing, coming at the end of the Chinese season, but Tencent Sports was unimpressed.
After a World Cup qualifier against Syria in mid-November, Lippi will return to Italy and spend Christmas there, Tencent said.
“The holiday may last for four months,” said Tencent.
“Therefore it is no exaggeration for fans to say that Lippi’s annual salary of 180 million yuan is too easy.
“Coaching the national football team carries huge pressure for any head coach, but it is almost impossible to see this in Lippi.” China is second behind Syria in its qualifying group following a 0-0 draw at the Philippines in its previous game.
- IND vs UZB LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: Indian men’s hockey team aims to secure Olympic berth with campaign open vs Uzbekistan
- Asian Games 2023, September 24 Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: India wins two silver medals in shooting, rowing; Ramita, Mehuli in 10m Air Rifle Final at 9:15AM IST
- IND vs BAN LIVE Score Asian Games 2023, women’s cricket semifinal: Verma, Rodrigues take India forward in 52 chase vs Bangladesh after Mandhana falls on 7
- India vs Thailand Table Tennis Live Score Asian Games 2023: Ayhika leads 2-0 after Manika’s loss; men’s team faces Kazakhstan - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Manchester United winger Antony left out of Brazil’s squad for World Cup qualifying after abuse claims