Barcelona was without Lionel Messi and a host of stars in its 1-0 defeat against Girona in the Catalan Super Cup.
Messi was rested for Wednesday's fixture, which featured the two best ranked Catalan clubs from LaLiga, as Cristhian Stuani downed the league leaders.
The likes of Luis Suarez, Ousmane Dembele, Ivan Rakitic, Gerard Pique and Marc-Andre ter Stegen were missing – Ernesto Valverde handing debuts to new signing Jean-Clair Todibo from Toulouse and Moussa Wague.
Barca's line-up did include Malcom, Samuel Umtiti, Kevin-Prince Boateng and Jasper Cillessen midweek.
But Barca – who edged Espanyol on penalties last year – succumbed to Stuani's second-half penalty in Sabadell.
- Hard-serving Ivo Karlovic officially announces his retirement from tennis
- World team table tennis c’ships: India men edge out Kazakhstan to enter Round of 16
- Former India cricketer Lalchand Rajput appointed UAE head coach
- Take Bairstow out of firing line: Cook urges England to bench the out-of-form batter
- Royal Challengers Bangalore WPL 2024 team analysis: Squad depth, players to watch out, fixtures