Paul Pogba is available for Juventus’ Serie A fixture with Monza after recovering from a long-term knee injury, coach Massimiliano Allegri said on Saturday.
France midfielder Pogba is yet to play a match for Juventus since returning from Manchester United last summer, injuring the meniscus in his right knee in July and missing out on the World Cup.
He initially elected not to go under the knife in a bid to make the Qatar tournament but despite later changing his mind he didn’t recover in time to play for Les Bleus who lost their crown as world champions in a thrilling final with Argentina.
Pogba will be in the matchday squad alongside Dusan Vlahovic who comes back from a groin injury which has kept the Serbia striker out since early December.
“Tomorrow Vlahovic and Pogba will be available,” Allegri told reporters.
“They’re feeling good... I think Vlahovic is in slightly better condition than Pogba but in the last few days Paul has made some progress.”
Allegri added that Pogba, who returned to team training for the first time since October earlier this month, would only have a maximum of half an hour on the Allianz Stadium pitch if he is brought on during the course of Sunday’s game.
“If they’re in the squad it means that they can play. It’s obvious that they don’t have 60 minutes in their legs, the most they’ll have is 30,” he said.
Allegri will be without Italy forward Federico Chiesa who is being rested with a slight thigh problem after returning from his serious knee injury.
“Chiesa is not available because he has a problem with the thigh of the leg which underwent surgery, but that’s normal after 10 months this kind of thing can happen,” said Allegri.
“It’s just a matter of a couple of days though as he will be back for Lazio on Thursday.”
It has been a difficult season for Pogba as he is also embroiled in an alleged extortion plot involving his own brother.
Juventus sits 11th in Serie A after being docked 15 points for illicit transfer activity and will be overtaken by promoted Monza should the Turin giants lose to the club owned by Silvio Berlusconi as they did in September.
- Asian Games 2023: Kynan Darius Chenai clinches bronze in Men’s trap final
- India vs China Badminton LIVE Score, Asian Games 2023: IND men’s team eye gold vs CHN; Prannoy to miss final; When & where to watch - Hangzhou updates
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally LIVE , October 1 - Men’s shooting trap team bags gold; Aditi Ashok wins silver, India 4th with 11 gold, 42 medals
- India vs Korea women’s hockey LIVE Updates, Asian Games 2023: KOR scores as IND trails 1-0 after first-half
- China Open: Sabalenka thrashes Kenin to sail into second round