Romelu Lukaku has been handed the No. 9 shirt by Inter in a move that further suggests Mauro Icardi is on his way out of San Siro.
The Belgium striker completed a protracted club-record transfer to Inter from Manchester United on Thursday for a fee understood to be EUR 80 million (GBP 73m). He is considered a direct replacement for Icardi, who mutually agreed to withdraw from Inter's recent pre-season tour of Asia as he continues to seek a new club.
Icardi, linked with Juventus and Napoli, had played with the No. 9 on his back since arriving at the Serie A side in 2013.
Diego Forlan, Samuel Eto'o, Julio Cruz, Hernan Crespo, Ronaldo and Ivan Zamorano have also had the same shirt number over the past two decades. Lukaku could make his Inter debut in Saturday's pre-season friendly against Valencia.
- Vijay Hazare Trophy LIVE Score, Round 7: Mumbai, TN, Kerala eye early wickets; Bengal collapses vs Punjab
- India’s series win vs Australia highlights squad depth and leadership potential ahead of T20 World Cup
- Tiger Woods vaults 430 spots, drawing scrutiny to world rankings
- NBA: Sixers’ Oubre ready to return after ‘traumatic’ hit and run
- La Liga: Celta Vigo comes from behind to draw with 10-man Cadiz