Spain suffered a 2-1 home defeat by Switzerland as goals from Manuel Akanji and Breel Embolo knocked the hosts off the top of Nations League A-Group 2 on Saturday with one game left to play.
Last year’s finalist is now second on eight points having been leapfrogged by Portugal, which breezed past Czech Republic 4-0 away to reach 10 points.
Cristiano Ronaldo’s side will reach the final four with at least a home draw in Tuesday’s crunch game against Spain, who must win in Braga to qualify for the semi-finals.
Switzerland is third on six points, two above than Czechs which it will face on Tuesday in a battle to avoid relegation.
Akanji opened the scoring with a header from a corner in the 21st minute, but Jordi Alba equalised for the hosts with a cross-shot from a counter-attack 10 minutes after the break.
Three minutes later, however, Embolo got the winner with a close-range strike from a corner.
- RCB vs UPW Live Score, WPL 2024: Meghana, Ghosh take Royal Challengers Bangalore past 100
- Ranji Trophy quarterfinal: Indrajith steps up as Tamil Nadu asserts control against Saurashtra
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Bashir’s exploits, under Nostradamus Stokes, leave India in tatters
- No denying Janneke Schopman’s contribution but missing Olympics made her stay untenable
- BWF Para Badminton World Championships 2024: Bhagat, Yathiraj, Nagar reach finals