Jermain Defoe says he snubbed a move to Crystal Palace and chose Rangers instead in want of a fresh challenge and for the chance to play under his former England team-mate Steven Gerrard.
The 36-year-old moved to Ibrox from Bournemouth on an 18-month loan deal on Sunday, having found first-team opportunities limited at the Vitality Stadium this season.
And Defoe has subsequently confirmed that a switch to Bournemouth's Premier League rival Palace was also on offer, the striker instead choosing a move to the Scottish Premiership high-fliers and a reunion with Gerrard, who is in charge of Rangers.
"There was interest, I had to weigh it all up, and I fancied something different to be honest, I fancied a different challenge, especially one where people were like, 'I'm not too sure on that one'," Defoe said.
"The Palace one was lingering for years - I know a lot of people down there, Mark Bright, a lot of the players. It is obviously a fantastic club, with a top manager. But I spoke to Stevie and decided to come here, because it is a great opportunity for me. When he got the job, it did make me think a little bit."
Latest on Sportstar
- IND vs AUS LIVE Score, WTC Final 2023: Will Rohit feature in 50th Test for India vs Australia today? Toss, Playing XI, Dream11 prediction
- WTC final 2023: Kishan or Bharat as India wicketkeeper? Farokh Engineer weighs in
- WTC Final 2023: Oval pitch report; India, Australia playing record; key stats
- India vs Australia head-to-head in Tests: All the stats and records you need to know ahead of WTC Final 2023
- IND vs AUS WTC Final, London weather update LIVE: Will it rain on Day 1 at the Oval during India vs Australia match?