Brian Rodriguez scored the winner as Uruguay defeated Peru 1-0 in an international friendly at Estadio Centenario on Friday.
Los Angeles FC winger Rodriguez finished a flowing move in the 17th minute after Brian Lozano's pass inside was helped on by Matias Vecino in Montevideo.
It was a second goal in three senior international appearances for Rodriguez, which helped La Celeste exact some revenge on Peru – which eliminated Uruguay on penalties in the quarterfinals of this year's Copa America.
The midfield trio of Vecino, Lucas Torreira and Real Madrid's Federico Valverde immediately got on top as the host dominated the opening stages.
With no Luis Suarez or Edinson Cavani available to face Peru, Rodriguez made his presence felt as he drove home from inside the area to cap a fine Uruguay performance in the first half.
Copa America finalist Peru lifted its intensity to improve after the restart but failed to register a shot on target over the 90 minutes, even though it rallied late on after both teams had made numerous changes.
Maxi Gomez should have doubled the lead with 20 minutes to play, but he was denied by a good save from Pedro Gallese, as Rodriguez's solitary strike proved enough.
Uruguay and Peru meet again in Lima on Tuesday.
- India vs Australia Live Score Updates, World Cup 2023 Final: Toss at 1:30pm; Rohit & Co eye 2003 revenge, AUS hunts 6th title
- IND vs AUS, ICC World Cup 2023: Which artists are performing in the final at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad?
- IND vs AUS head-to-head in ODI World Cup: India vs Australia WC results and records
- ODI World Cup: We have been doing fielding awards for last four months, says coach Dilip
- ODI World Cup 2023: List of team India’s fielding medal winners