Uruguay’s Edinson Cavani scored early and fellow striker Luis Suarez converted a second-half penalty, his fourth in three games for his country, as it beat Colombia 3-0 in Friday’s World Cup qualifier.
Cavani got the opener in the fifth minute after Nahitan Nandez had done the hard work in midfield by robbing the ball and setting him up to fire home a low right-foot shot. Suarez then added to the lead nine minutes into the second period when he scored from the spot after Jeison Murillo brought down Rodrigo Bentancur.
Darwin Nunez completed the scoring after 73 minutes when his pot shot from 25 metres beat the diving David Ospina.
ALSO READ | Argentina draws 1-1 with Paraguay
Yerry Mina was sent off for Colombia after a second yellow card in the final minute of the game to complete a miserable afternoon for the home side.
Suarez’s goal was his 63rd international strike and came after he scored twice from the penalty spot in Uruguay’s 4-2 loss to Ecuador and once in its 2-1 win over Chile in its opening qualifier last month.
The victory takes Uruguay to six points after three games, while Colombia, which beat Venezuela and drew away to Chile in its first two games, has four.
The top four sides in the 10-team South American group qualify automatically for the Qatar 2022 finals and the fifth-placed team goes into an inter-regional playoff.
Uruguay now travels home to face Brazil on Tuesday when Colombia will be away to Ecuador.
- Mohun Bagan Super Giant vs Odisha FC LIVE streaming info, ISL 2023-24: When, where to watch; Preview
- WATCH: Bangladesh’s Mushfiqur Rahim out handling the ball in second Test against New Zealand
- Bangladesh vs New Zealand LIVE Score updates, 2nd Test Day 1: Latest scorecard, match streaming info
- NBA: LeBron James leads Lakers to In-Season Tournament semifinals with win over Suns
- Du Plessis hints at return to international cricket ahead of T20 World Cup