AS Roma’s slump continued with a 3-2 Serie A defeat by relegation battling Venezia on Sunday, as the host recovered from surrendering the lead before halftime to launch a sensational second half fightback.
Jose Mourinho’s side has one win in its last seven games in all competitions and has dropped out of the top four after picking up four points from its last five league games.
“This is not the year to dream big, but it is up to me to raise the ambition and motivation. Our goal is fourth place, but for some reason we have slid to sixth," Mourinho told DAZN .
The home side went in front after three minutes through a Mattia Caldara volley, but Roma wrestled back control in the final few minutes of the first half with goals from Eldor Shomurodov and Tammy Abraham.
However, a Mattia Aramu penalty and David Okereke strike saw Paolo Zanetti’s side flip the game on its head once more, earning Venezia a famous win that lifts it to 14th place with 12 points.
Roma is fifth with 19 points, three points behind Atalanta in fourth, but will slide to sixth if its capital rival Lazio wins at home to second-bottom Salernitana later on Sunday.
Mourinho has repeatedly complained about the lack of squad depth since taking over at the capital club in the close season, and returned to the theme again. “We have evident problems. When you are building a team you start from an idea of the game. But the squad is unbalanced, there aren’t real options for every role," Mourinho said.
"When you lose a player to injury or suspension, you have to become a coach who is capable of inventing something," he added.
- Full list of highest T20I totals successfully chased against India: Australia sets new record in Guwahati
- IND vs AUS: Deepak Chahar added to India’s squad for T20I series against Australia
- PCB waives off 50 per cent match fee fine imposed on Azam Khan for displaying Palestine flag
- IND vs AUS: Maxwell concedes 30 runs off last over as India scores mammoth 222 against Australia in 3rd T20I
- Ruturaj Gaikwad smashes maiden international century; becomes first Indian to score T20I hundred against Australia