Spain secured a convincing 3-1 home win over Kosovo in a World Cup qualifier on Wednesday, although goalkeeper Unai Simon made a blunder to cost his side a goal.
Dani Olmo gave Spain a deserved lead in the 34th minute with a delicate chip to add to his winner against Georgia in its last game, and Ferran Torres fired in the second goal two minutes later.
Spain looked in total control as it dominated possession, but it allowed Kosovo back into the game in the 70th minute when Simon lost the ball after rushing out of his box, and Besar Halimi pounced to score from a distance.
The home side restored its two-goal cushion five minutes later thanks to a header from Gerard Moreno. The win saw it move top of Group B with seven points after three games.
"I'm very happy with what I saw on the pitch today, we played a great game, and our victory was never in doubt," Spain coach Luis Enrique told reporters.
Spain had faced plenty of criticism for its sluggish start to qualifying after a 1-1 home draw with Greece and a scrappy 2-1 victory in Georgia. But practically everything clicked into place on Wednesday, as 18-year-old Pedri pulled the strings in midfield while Ferran and Olmo used their pace to help prise open Kosovo.
After Olmo's sumptuous chip had broken the deadlock, Pedri laid on the pass for Ferran to double Spain's lead with a darting run before firing into the opposite corner of the net.
RUTHLESS IN FRONT OF GOAL
Midfielder Koke added: "We were ruthless in front of goal today, but we need to keep on working because there's a lot of room to improve.
"We know people expect a lot of us, but there are no easy games at this level. Every team wants to be at the World Cup, and no-one is winning games comfortably."
Playing with flair and confidence that recalled a young Andres Iniesta, Pedri carved open the visitor again in the second half and would have added another assist had Moreno not wasted a clear opportunity by shooting straight at Kosovo keeper Samir Ujkani.
The only sour note for Spain was Simon's error which will start another debate over who should be its number one keeper in the European Championships in June.
The mistake came at a crucial stage in the season for Athletic Bilbao keeper Simon, who is set to play in the Copa del Rey final against Real Sociedad on Saturday.
"Unai should keep doing what he does because he gives me a lot of confidence. I don't judge my players for their errors. They are part of this sport. Learning to overcome little mistakes is all part of growing as a player," Luis Enrique said.
- Asian Games 2023, September 30, Live Updates from Hangzhou 2022: Shooting Trap-75, 10m pistol mixed team; Sreesankar, Yarraji, Nithya through to final
- Athletics, Asian Games 2023 LIVE Score September 30: Sreeshankar in final with 7.97m jump; Yarraji through to women’s 100m hurdles final - Hangzhou 2022 updates
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 30 - LIVE - India eyes more medals in 10m air pistol mixed team and Trap-75 events, IND stands 4th with 33 medals
- Asian Games 2023 schedule today, September 30: Indians in action, events, LIVE streaming details, IST timings
- Asian Games 2023: Overall medals tally, September 29 - India fourth with 8 gold, 33 medals in total, China crosses 100-gold mark