India were thumped 1-5 by Australia in a Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey match here on Thursday. Blake Govers put Australia ahead in the fifth minute but India swiftly restored parity three minutes later through Rupinder Pal Singh.
But Australia then wrested the initiative and went on a scoring spree, netting in the 13th, 20th and 26th minutes to build a sizeable 4-1 lead and put the game to bed.
Jacob Whetton started the onslaught, assisted by Jamie Dwyer, tapping in from close range as Australia ended the first quarter 2-1 ahead. Eddie Ockeden extended Australia’s lead in the second quarter before Simon Orchard made it 4-1.
India was able to play out a goalless third quarter but Matt Gohdes completed India’s humiliation with a fine diving effort in the last quarter.
India began its campaign with an underwhelming 2-1 win against Japan and its latest performance was not remotely inspiring. It will next take on Canada on Sunday.
- IND vs ENG Live Score Updates, 4th Test Day 4: IND 100/3, needs 92 runs to win; India loses Rohit, Patidar in quick succession
- Ranji Trophy Live Score, Day 4 Quarterfinal updates: Anubhav picks 5 to help MP comeback; Shorey departs after fifty
- IND vs ENG, 4th Test: Most runs by Indian batters in home series - Jaiswal equals Kohli at 2nd spot, Gavaskar at top
- NBA suspends five players for roles in Heat-Pelicans brawl
- MLS: Lionel Messi scores late as Inter Miami salvages 1-1 draw against LA Galaxy